The small appliances that we depend on every day can often be the most likely spots to find dangerous mold, bacteria, and viruses. To prevent foodborne illnesses and make your kitchen safer, it is important to periodically deep clean these appliances. Still, you can’t just throw most of them into the sink or dishwasher. Here are a few tips that can help you safely clean the most common small appliances in your Frederick kitchen:
- Coffee makers – Between the constant warmth and moisture, coffeemakers can be a haven for dangerous microorganisms, and the heat of the appliance alone may not kill them. To clean the coffee maker thoroughly, wash any removable components like the filter basket and carafe in hot water, and clean the machine’s exterior with a mild soap, like dish detergent. Sanitize the interior components by cycling the coffeemaker a few times with a mixture of vinegar and water, followed by water alone.
- Coffee grinders – Remove the bulk of remaining materials in the grinder by grinding some plain white rice, then wipe the interior with paper towels.
- Microwaves – Fill a bowl with a mixture of water, vinegar, and lemon slices. Place the bowl in the microwave and heat it until steam forms. Wipe down the interior, then clean the exterior with a mixture of vinegar and water.
- Toasters or toaster ovens – Remove any racks or crumb trays and wash them separately in dish detergent. Shake out any remaining crumbs, and wash the exterior with a mixture of vinegar and water. Avoid touching the heating elements or any light bulbs inside the appliance.
- Blenders – Place a mixture of hot water and detergent in the blender, then turn the machine on high for a few minutes. Rinse and dry all components, and wipe down the exterior of the blender with a vinegar and water mixture.
- Food processors and mixers – Wash any removable components in the sink or dishwasher, and wash the exterior with soap or a vinegar mixture. Use a stiff brush or pipe cleaner to remove stuck-on food from the blades before washing them.
- Electric griddles, waffle irons, or grills – If the appliance is submersible, wash it thoroughly in the sink with dish detergent and water. If not, clean and rinse the cooking surfaces, being careful not to submerge the appliance or get the heating elements wet, then wipe down the exterior with a detergent or vinegar solution.
Be sure to unplug each appliance before cleaning and allow it to dry completely before plugging it back in. It is also a good idea to check the owner’s manual for each appliance for manufacturer-specific cleaning procedures.
Home Electrical Services in Frederick County, MD
Ensure your small appliances have the power they need, where they need it, with home electrical services from our team at Wenbrooke Services. Our experts can upgrade your service panel, install new kitchen circuits, add outlets for your appliances, and much more. We offer full residential and commercial electrical services and complete heating and air conditioning services in Frederick, Middletown, Gaithersburg, and the surrounding communities. Our team is available 24/7 for emergency service. With our extensive experience, an A+ rating with the BBB, and our commitment to quality, you can count on us for great service and professional results.
Call (240) 394-1500 or contact us online to schedule electrical services in Frederick, MD, or nearby areas today.