Do you notice a bad smell in your home when the air conditioner is running? There’s a strong possibility the smell could be coming from the unit. Since some of the reasons pose serious threats to your property or health, it’s best to get to the bottom of what’s causing the odor.
Wenbrooke Services offers every type of HVAC repair, replacement, and installation service, including diagnosing and repairing odor-causing AC units. If you’re experiencing a smelly problem related to your air conditioning unit, our trained technicians can quickly pinpoint where the smell’s coming from and what’s causing it.
Why Does Your AC Smell Funny?
No one wants to walk in their house and be greeted by unpleasant AC-related odors! If your air-conditioned house smells terrible, here’s what might be causing it and how you can alleviate it.
- Must, mold, and mildew caused by excess moisture or humidity in an HVAC system can cause the odors related to them to flow through your house when the AC is running. Installing a whole-house humidifier/dehumidifier is one way to prevent this from happening. It also helps to schedule a spring AC tune-up every year that includes a full cleaning of your condensate drain line and evaporator coils.
- A stinky feet or dirty socks smell is usually caused by dirty evaporator coils, stagnant water, or clogged condensate drain pans. Professional cleaning is the typical solution.
- You might smell stale cigarette smoke if someone in the home smokes. The odors accumulate in the filter and evaporator coil and over time build up to where they start to circulate through your home. Changing the filter and scheduling a tune-up and cleaning can help.
- If you notice a burning smell, it’s likely something’s burning! An overheated motor, a wiring issue, or some other mechanical problem is usually the culprit. This is a serious problem that requires immediate attention from a professional. Be sure to turn off your HVAC system first, and then call in a pro for advice and repair. If the smell is more like gunpowder, you might have an AC circuit board or fan motor short.
- A fishy or rotten egg smell can be coming from melted plastic components. The rotten egg smell could also be from a gas leak, a serious situation. In that case, be sure to turn off power to the breaker box circuits, leave your home, and contact the fire department. Once they’ve cleared you to go back inside, schedule service with an HVAC technician to uncover what’s wrong with your unit.
- If you have P-traps in your home, sewer gases might back up into it. A backed-up or ruptured sewer line should be handled by a professional plumber or HVAC technician immediately.
- If you think you smell a rotting carcass, it’s quite possible a small critter has died in your HVAC or the duct system. The quicker you discover, remove, and clean it, the better.
Why Choose Wenbrooke Services for Air Conditioner Repair Services
No matter what’s causing your Frederick, MD home’s AC to smell funny, it’s never a good idea to try and cover up the odor with things like scented candles and air fresheners. Having the problem taken care of by a professional helps keep your equipment running properly and can improve your home’s indoor air quality, saving you from health issues like nausea, headaches, respiratory problems, and irritated skin and eyes.
Wenbrooke Services offers a full range of air conditioning repair, installation, and maintenance services. To learn more about all the HVAC services we offer, contact us online today or call us at (240) 394-1500.