AC Loud Noises
When the summer heat arrives in Frederick, MD, all you want is to relax in your cool, air-conditioned home. But what happens if your AC unit starts making weird and loud noises? A noisy air conditioner can happen for many reasons, but none of them should be ignored. That’s because they’re almost always a sign that something’s gone wrong — or is about to go wrong — with your air conditioner.
We want to help you avoid having small issues become expensive problems down the road. The skilled technicians at Wenbrooke Services can help discover why your air conditioner is making loud noises, and we can make any necessary repairs. If you have a loud AC unit on your hands, we’re the ones to call to quickly get the problem resolved and restore your air conditioner to its optimal performance level.
Why Your Air Conditioner is Making Loud Noises
Most loud noises from air conditioners should be handled by a professional, but if you’re curious about what’s causing them, here’s the source of the five most common ones:
- Banging noises from the outdoor unit are most likely from the compressor, the component responsible for circulating refrigerant. Normal wear and tear on interior parts can cause them to loosen and start creating a loud banging sound. In most cases, this type of problem requires replacing the compressor, but your technician can tell you for sure.
- Buzzing noises inside near the air handler or outdoors by the AC unit are typically the sign of an electrical problem such as a failing motor, loose wiring, a malfunctioning compressor, a broken capacitor, or arcing.
- Clicking noises when the AC unit runs could mean a small object is stuck in the blower fan. If the clicking happens when you try to start the system, but the AC unit won’t turn on, that might mean an electrical issue with the thermostat, capacitor, or compressor.
- Hissing noises can indicate a duct leak, a bad expansion valve, or an air filter that isn’t properly seated. But more times than not, it’s a sign of a refrigerant leak.
- Screeching and squealing noises that sound like metal on metal are usually caused by a bad compressor, a faulty blower motor, or a bad outdoor fan motor. If the loud noise is coming from the outside unit, it’s probably caused by a bad compressor or faulty fan motor. If it’s indoors, it’s likely the blower fan motor.
Repairing Noisy Air Conditioners
In some cases, an AC unit is beyond repair once it starts making loud noises. However, most of the time, the unit will only need a repair or two to begin functioning quietly again. If the unit is old, you might want to discuss the possibility of replacing it with a newer, more cost-effective model.
Why Choose Wenbrooke Services for Noisy AC Services
Tired of that loud noise coming from the AC unit in your Frederick, MD home? Wenbrooke Services can help! Our team of professional technicians can fix whatever’s causing your air conditioner to make that awful noise. We offer air conditioning repair, installation, and maintenance services that are done right the first time. To learn more about all the HVAC services we offer, contact us online today or call us at 240-500-0311.
in the Business
HVAC and electrical systems are more than the sum of their parts; they’re complex arrangements in which each component depends on the rest. They require careful work, superb craftsmanship, and up-to-date knowledge. At Wenbrooke Services, we pride ourselves on our attention to detail and our personal approach to customer care, so you’ll be satisfied with our work ― we guarantee it.
in the Business
At Wenbrooke Services, we pride ourselves on our attention to detail and our personal approach to customer care, so you’ll be satisfied with our work ― we guarantee it.